Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

Let's just see how big I can get the "cupcake" label in the cloud over here --->


A happy coincidence: A friend ordered a box of red velvet cupcakes the same week of my birthday. And happily, a batch of cupcakes is greater than a box of cupcakes. What to do with the extra cupcakes? Hmmmm. Happy Birthday to me! This time around I used Magnolia Bakery's recipe for the cakes, but played around with the frosting.







 I used bourbon vanilla to give it a little extra oomph, and added about three more cups of powdered sugar so that the frosting could stand up to the summer heat wave. Without it, the frosting looked more like a melted snowman on top of a hot-lava cake than anything else. (For anyone wondering, it was 98 degrees here the day I made these, so it didn't matter that the cakes were completely cooled off and that I was running the A/C at maximum output.)



I realized toward the end that I had a few of these black and white foil cupcake wrappers left over from another project. These are Reynolds brand, and I highly recommend them. They actually stay pretty even after they've been through the oven, which is pretty impressive.


Chomp!


Happy Birthday to me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment