Sunday, January 22, 2012

Elmo!

Little M and his mom (and their trusty yellow lab, Isa) take care of Brownie during the week while Lito and I are at work -- so naturally when little M turned two, I had to do something awesome for his birthday. Since he's usually dancing to Elmo or Thomas when I drop Brownie off in the mornings, and since I have this awesome piping tip and because Elmo is easier to make than Thomas, I made Elmo cakes. Voila!


Ingredients: 
  • Body: Yellow Cake
  • Fur: Red Buttercream Frosting (with a whole jar of Wilton "No Taste" red coloring)
  • Eyes: Sliced Marshmallows and Sparkle Black Gel
  • Nose: Peanut Butter M&M
  • Mouth: Oreo


A couple of things I am happy about:
  1. The fur! The red Elmo fur was actually red, didn't taste horrible (have you tasted red frosting? it's normally pretty gross b/c the coloring is too strong)
  2. The M&M noses were the perfect size -- and there were enough orange M&Ms in one box to make 24 (or more?) Elmos.
  3. The mouths -- once I figured out that I should cut a little semi-circle of cake out of the way, I was able to lay the Oreo-half flat. From there on out, Elmo stopped looking non-plussed, and started looking a little happier. 



[Above:] A photo of the mouths after I figured out the cake-cutting trick...


A couple things I would probably do differently next time:

  1. Make the frosting thicker from the get-go. It's harder on your hand when you pipe it out of the bag, but it's more fur-like in the end.
  2. Use Necco Wafers instead of marshmallows for the eyes. It bugged me that the marshmallows weren't perfectly round -- they gave Elmo a kind of....not so Elmo-y look.


As an aside, apparently little M asked for Elmo "Pupakes" for breakfast on his birthday. Charmed! Lito and I have been calling the little cakes Pupakes all week...



A row of Elmos:


Ready for Birthday time!

No comments:

Post a Comment