Monday, November 15, 2010

Shake it up.

Hi friends -- I've been taking a break here because, let's face it, my behind needs to take a break from all the cupcakes and cookies and ice cream. Time to start posting some healthier options that I've found that are still pretty yummy.

Exhibit A: The breakfast fruit shake of glory. This fruit shake is delicious and (I'm told that) because it has protein powder, it doesn't shake up your blood sugar level as much as other sweet smoothies do.



The Fruit Shake!
Adapted from the Fat Flush Plan

Here's what you need:

1 Cup of frozen fruit -- I like to use the mixed berries from Costco, but this is delicious with strawberries, cherries, raspberries, etc.
3/4 Cup of water
1/4 Cup of 100% Cranberry Juice -- No Sugar Added
1 Scoop of Protein Pwd (I use whey, but you can use other proteins if you like)
1 Tablespoon of Flax Seed Oil
1 Tablespoon of Orange Metamucil

Here's what you do:

Mix it in your blender. Drink it!




You can use fresh fruit too -- anything on sale or on hand. Just use one cup of fruit, and then add 1/2 Cup of ice, 1/4 Cup of water, and 1/4 Cup of Cranberry Juice instead. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! I heart smoothies! This one sounds FANTASTIC with the Metamucil in it and all... never seen that before, but to a pregnant lady that sounds just HEAVENLY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I was a little hesitant when I got to the Metamucil part, but I really like it -- and the orange flavor adds kind of a Tang-y hint to the smoothie. Let me know if you try it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Metamucil...now that's good eats. Just kidding, you know this girl loves her fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. Also: if it's not sweet enough, but you still want to go all healthy-style on this smoothie, you can add 1/8 t. of Stevia Plus. It's a sweetener that doesn't raise your blood sugar index. It has a funky aftertaste if you use too much, though...

    ReplyDelete