Tuesday, August 10, 2010

French Toast Cupcakes with Bacon

Several months ago, Lito and I saw something on the Food Network about a freshly made doughnut dipped in bacon crumbles -- people were raving about the amazing combo of the two amazing breakfast foods. You can see where this is going. The title of the post already gave it away. I did a little internet research and found an incredible recipe from lifewithcake.com.

I stayed pretty true to the recipe listed, including the instructions to cream the butter for 10 minutes, despite the fact that I'm working with a pink hand mixer rather than a stand mixer.

Adding the dry ingredients looks cuter when you do it with heart-shaped measuring cups.


Secret tip: (well, maybe it's not a secret, but I thought it was a good idea anyway) Use an ice cream scooper to dole out the batter into even portions. The cake here is "French Toast" flavored -- a white cake warmed up with nutmeg and cinnamon.


Cooled. Frosted with maple frosting. (I added Mapleine flavoring to a regular butter cream recipe.)
And topped with delicious, crunchy bacon. They were a revelation. The sweetness of the maple frosting, plus the crunch of bacon was amazing. The cake had a fantastic flavor, but was a little on the dry side. Careful not to overcook.

Delish.

6 comments:

  1. One of those cupcakes needs to be Fedexed to my mouth asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just got married and failed to acquire a stand mixer? Child, where were your priorities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely and delicious-looking.

    And, Susan, I also failed to acquire a stand mixer. Well, we acquired one, but then decided we didn't have room, nor did we get enough dinner plates, so we returned it and got dinner plates instead. Sad, but true. Though I do regret this a little. Who needs dinner plates?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never fear, we have some amazing friends who are giving us a stand mixer soon! And steph, I know exactly what you mean about the space and the plates. If I had known better, I would have just registered for about 16 bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nom nom nom nom... This looks so delicious. And it was all beautifully executed -- in words as well as in photos. When I cook, things are usually not so picturesque. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drrrrooooooooooooolllllll. Ty just had bacon popcorn, bacon mayonnaise, and bacon salt shipped to me as a thank you for driving him to Oregon. I'm so glad lent is over :)

    ReplyDelete